Welcome back beauties ❤
This mascara was a part of an Instagram giveaway that I won and a follower wanted my thoughts on it. So I have been testing out the Physicians Formula Organic Wear Mascara in Ultra Black Organics for 4 weeks now and here are my thoughts:
I really like the packaging with the leaf design. It is a nice change to the usual black tubes found in the drugstore.
The applicator is a plastic bristle wand that is on the small side. I like the applicator as it is nice to use on the top and bottom lashes. The type of plastic is good quality that does not poke my eyes as usual plastic bristle wands do. This wand reminds a lot to the Covergirl Clump Crusher but the physicians formula wand is slightly smaller and is more comfortable. I personally found the clump crusher to be harsh on my eyes but i liked the curve it has. I almost wish the physicians formula one had a curved wand.
I was ultra amazed of how good the ingredients were! 100% naturally derived ingredients is hard to find in a mascara that is drugstore. Coming from someone who has sensitive eyes, I truly enjoyed this factor. In fact, I noticed a difference when washing my face at the end of the day, if some mascara comes in my eyes in the process, it doesn’t irritate them as other mascaras do, regardless if it was high end or drugstore. I like to see the ingredients of the products, so here it is for your reference:
Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Water*, Glycerin, Iron Oxide, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Glyceryl Stearate, Water, Beeswax*, Jojoba Esters, Tapioca Starch*, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax*, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Caprylate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice*, Cellulose Gum, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract*, Glycine Soya (Soybean) Oil*, Hydrolyzed Oryza Sativa (Rice) Protein, Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Olea Europaea (Olive) Leaf Extract*. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide *Produced from Organic Farming.
This is where I struggled with the mascara. The first week using it was not fun. It took a long time to dry on my lashes and the formula was just too wet to define my eyes as I personally like.
At the 2 week mark, it became better but it was a very natural defining looking mascara, I personally did not notice any intense volume or length.
At the week 3 and 4 mark, is when I started to enjoy using it. This is when the formula started to dry to the point where I could build some volume with it. It is still a pretty natural looking mascara that basically defines the lashes. So it would depend on what you personally like from a mascara. The following pictures were taken at the 4 week mark :).
- It flakes throughout the day if you put more than 2 layers.
- It takes a while to dry on your lashes during the first 2 weeks.
- It is not a dramatic mascara as I would like.
- If you are a type of person who likes to wiggle the brush as close to your eyes as possible, it gets a bit of mascara on your upper lid. I have only found 1 mascara that doesn’t do that for me, but thought to mention it as it is a personal pet peeve of mine.
- What I personally love about this mascara is that it is so damn easy to wash at night! if you only apply 1-2 coats then you can seriously get away with just washing it off with water.
- It doesn’t irritate my eyes and I have pretty sensitive eyes! For reference Clinic black impact and Benefit bad gal irritate my eyes and I can’t use those.
- Physicians formula is cruelty free, uses good ingredients and is available at the drugstore, where promotions are run more frequently than at department stores.
- I actually think it helped nourish my lashes a bit throughout the time I have been using it, it definitely did not make my lashes fall out like other mascaras such as Maybelline ones.
I know some people dislike that physicians formula is expensive for the drugstore. I quite disagree with this, I am glad it is available at the drugstore as their products are very good quality that would ordinarily be sold in department stores. so I like that i can get good quality products in a place where promotions run more frequently.
this is the case with this mascara, you get 7.5 grams for the retail price of $24.95 AUD. in my opinion it is great value considering the ingredients used. also, keep in mind a maybelline mascara is also $19.95 AUD and contains anywhere from 9 to 11 ml, but doesnt contain good ingredients and is not cruelty free.
Overall, I think whether you would like this mascara will depend on what you personally value.